In 2019, ICTO had performed following tasks to enhance the information security.

Beware of Phishing Scams

Cybercriminals use phishing—a type of social engineering—to manipulate people into doing what scammer or phishing email sender wants. Social engineering is at the heart of all phishing attacks, especially those conducted via email. Technology makes phishing easy. Setting up and operating a phishing attack is easy, quick, inexpensive, and low risk: any cybercriminal with an email address can launch a phishing attack.

According to ICTO’s Information Security Incident Statistics 2019, there were around 63.9% of incidents related to spam and phishing (see the chart). In addition, there were more than 80 million emails came to our secure mail gateway in 2019 but more than 90% of them were filtered out by effective anti-spam and phishing mechanisms. In remaining 10% of “clean emails”, there are always some “lucky fish” which can always successfully deceive email gateway and delivered to our users’ mailboxes. Therefore, increasing users’ awareness is very important to combat phishing attacks.

Actually, we always remind users that you must confirm the identity of the sender before replying to any email. Especially if the email involves sensitive contents such as money, personal information or account password, etc. please pay special attention. Knowing what you’re up against can help you protect your data and avoid scams!