ICTO offers wireless LAN service in UM for students, staff and guests. There are over 3,900 Access Points (APs) serving over 10,000 users and 20,000 users’ devices on UM campus. Keeping every single user connected on 24 hours a day and 7 days a week requires monitoring, testing and maintenance tasks to ensure service availability.
Wireless LAN service like any other Wi-Fi services relies on communication over the air using radio waves and is composed of user’s device, radio frequency spectrum, Wi-Fi technology, network infrastructure and connectivity to Internet. As there are several factors that influence wireless LAN service performance, ICTO takes every reported incident as an individual case to investigate.
To understand the difficulty that students encounter in accessing wireless LAN service at dormitory, ICTO had performed wireless performance tests in RCs & PGH during the summer recess. The result showed that the wireless signal in most of the rooms was normal.
However, wireless signal strength and transmission speed might vary from location to location due to the following factors:
- Physical objects: Concrete walls, furniture or door weakens the signal strength or signals get completely blocked due to structure/design of the room at some locations.
- Radio frequency interference: Devices that share the channel can cause noise and weaken the signals.
- Electrical interference: Electrical interference comes from devices such as computers, fans or any other motorized devices. The impact that electrical interference has on the signal depends on the proximity of the electrical device to the wireless access point.
- Environmental factors: Weather conditions can have an impact on wireless signal integrity. Fog can weaken signals as it pass through.
- Compatibility of user’s device: Some devices or OS might have compatibility issue when connecting to wireless LAN.
Should you encounter any problem in wireless connection or performance, please feel free to contact us at 88228600.